IR Fly Reels
By special order:
Blue Pink Slate Black Clear,
Quick Release, Click-Drag
Quite possibly the finest example of a clicker-pawl fly reel on the market today, the IR, Islander Ratchet, has been growing in popularity amongst the trout crowds and the light salt enthusiasts alike. The simple yet smooth clicker-pawl drag has five pre-set drag pressures to help slow down even the most precocious prey. The drag is silky for both the outgoing and incoming click, and doesn’t suffer the hand-numbing rattle that some clicker-pawl reels are plagued with.
If you are looking for the best light-tackle fly reel on the market, then take a good look at the Islander IR Fly Reel You can also purchase optional Large Arbor spools for your IR3 or IR4. This allows you to have all the advantages of a Large Arbor design without having to purchase another reel.
Spools and Drag
The IR is built for precision and versatility. It is available with a standard arbor spool and the IR3 and IR4 are also available with large arbor spools. Using a simple but effective quick-release system, a spool can be replaced in seconds with just a flick of your finger. One of our greatest concerns with a quick-release spool was the notorious endplay that seems to hinder most designs. Islander has all but eliminated the problem with tight tolerances and precision manufacturing. In addition, the drag can be adjusted at any moment and is controlled with the adjustment knob on the frame. It adjusts a five position cam to vary the clicker-pawl spring pressure.
- Dymondwood® Handles – Dymondwood® is a dense, resin-stabilized hardwood that resists swelling and wear, while maintaining the beauty and feel of a natural hardwood.
- Quick-Release System – Quick and easy spool changes with Islander’s proven quick release system.
- Counter-Balanced Spools – To keep the reel stable during high-speed runs, every spool has a stainless steel counterweight, to balance the handle assembly.
- Drag Adjustment – Five adjustment knob settings to vary the click-pawl drag pressure.
- Right or Left Hand – Easy conversion between right and left hand retrieve without tools.
- Combination Packages – The IR3 and IR4 can be purchased with an additional Large Arbor spool in a Combination Package at a combination price.
* Backing capacities are subject to the style of backing used.
Exotic (Gelspun) style backings can increase capacity by a general rule of thumb:
You can increase capacities by 15% using flat or oval backing.
You can increase capacity of 20# by 75% and 30# by 50% using Gelspun etc.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
For the lifetime of the original purchaser, Islander Reels warrants this reel against any failure due to defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty is valid only if the reel has been cleaned and maintained according to the Maintenance Instructions. This warranty applies to the original purchaser only. This warranty does not cover normal wear, misuse, or loss. Nor does this warranty cover damage due to improper use or improper assembly, improper/inadequate cleaning or improper/inadequate maintenance. This warranty will cover bearing wear and replacement for a period of two years.
Cautionary Note: Islander does not recommend the use of monofilament on fly fishing reels. Use of monofilament on fly reels may result in spool warping (deforming) and may void any warranty.